Wedding ceremony is a very ancient custom, which over time has not lost its relevance. To this day, the happy beloved, having sealed themselves in the registry office, go to church to testify their union before God. For the wedding, there are certain rules on how to prepare for this sacred sacrament, as well as how it happens - you will learn from this article.
Unfortunately, not all people can be admitted to this rite. So, the wedding will not be available to you in such cases:
- If you have already addressed this ritual three times. But even the second wedding will be quite problematic.
- In the case when one of the lovers or both of them adheres not to Christianity, they have not been baptized in an Orthodox church and have no desire to be baptized before the wedding.
- If one of the lovers has a valid church or civil marriage union (in the first situation it will be necessary to obtain permission from the bishop in order to dissolve the union).
- It is forbidden to marry people who have a close relationship (up to the fourth generation). Also, marriage in the case of spiritual kinship is not permissible (for example, for a godfather and a kuma, a godson and a godmother, and so on).
- The ban applies to mentally ill people.
- Also, the priest will not agree to marry atheists who resort to the rite not for spiritual reasons, but for some other reasons (at the behest of the parents, as a tribute to fashion, and so on).
- For the wedding, you must have a certificate of registration of marriage, as well as a passport with stamps.
- A girl can get married in church if she is already full sixteen years old, and the boy is at the age of eighteen.
If you want to remove the ritual on video or take a photo - be sure to discuss these points in advance. It is important that in the process of the sacred sacrament nothing distracts the priest and all those gathered from the ceremony.
For the wedding are important witnesses who were baptized in an Orthodox church. Think about who is best suited for this role - after all, the best people will have to keep a crown over the newlyweds for the entire duration of the ritual. Therefore, it is advisable to choose witnesses of tall and hardy enough.
Previously you will need to stock up on such a necessary arsenal:
- Wedding dress. It should have a modest style so that shoulders, arms and back, as well as the neckline are covered. Be sure to be quite long. Give your preference to exclusively light tones - black, blue and violet colors are strictly prohibited. The dress is complemented by a long train (symbolizing the long life of the spouses) and veil (it is allowed to take a hat or a white scarf instead of the veil, because the veil can catch fire from the flame of candles).
- Wedding rings: for the husband a ring of gold is taken (symbolizes solar, masculine energy), and for the wife - of silver (the personification of the lunar, feminine energy).
- Cahors, which is passed to the church in advance.
- Church candles. What exactly - this question you can find out in the church shop. As a rule, use special, festive options.
- Napkins (or handkerchiefs), so that candles do not burn the skin of the hands during the ceremony.
- Crop crosses for those getting married.
- A wedding towel or a white fabric (the ones getting married will become during the ceremony).
- Images of the Savior and the Mother of God - they are the symbols of male and female energy.
The duration of the wedding ceremony is about sixty minutes, so ensure yourself also comfortable shoes.
The most important aspect is to be in a harmonious state of mind and sincerely wish to perform this rite.
In addition, three days before the wedding, newlyweds will need to fast. Also before the wedding confession and communion is performed.
The start of the wedding by default is considered to be twelve o'clock at night, from now on you must refrain from eating food, water, alcohol, and not smoking. Prohibited sex.
Upon arrival at the church, newlyweds will first need to confess and take communion, and after that, they will change into a special wedding attire.
The temple is a sacred place where it is necessary to adhere to certain rules of behavior, namely:
- Women put on hats, body crosses and proper clothes, cover their arms and legs;
- It is necessary to be beautiful before a campaign within reasonable limits;
- People come to the church fifteen minutes before the start of the ceremony, put candles and attach them to the images;
- In the temple, you must turn off your cell phone;
- It is forbidden to talk in the process of service;
- When the ceremony is in progress, you cannot move around the temple;
- Only the elderly or the sick are sitting in the church;
- The male half occupies the right side of the hall, and the female half the left;
- It is not allowed to approach the altar;
- It is forbidden in the church to hold each other's hands;
- Hands can not be put in pockets;
- Do not turn their backs on the icons;
- If you are unable to withstand the entire wedding ceremony for any reason, it will be best to stand at the entrance to the church, but not leave the service before the allotted time;
- Orthodox people should be baptized with the right hand.
It is important that the guests themselves and the guests who are present at the ceremony adhere to the described rules.
Orthodox wedding is performed in two stages:
- the first is betrothal;
- and the second is the wedding itself.
The ceremony itself is as follows:
- At the beginning, the deacon makes rings on a special platter.
- Father comes to the newlyweds and gives them lighted candles.
- Then the clergyman holds in front of the young a dish on which the rings lie, and invites them to exchange them 3 times. The bride and groom first must pass the rings three times to each other on a tray and then put on their own. This personifies consent, mutual assistance and unity in marriage.
- After these actions, the father takes the crown of the newlywed, and baptizes him with the help of this wreath. Then he gives the groom touch his lips to the image of the Savior, fixed on the crown. Then the crown is placed on the head of the newlywed.
- A similar ceremony is held for the bride. But the crown of the girl is decorated with the image of the Mother of God, which she should kiss.
Note! The process of laying a wedding crown on the head of the bride and groom symbolizes that from now on they are the king and queen for each other.
- Then a cup of wine is brought. Batyushka baptizes her and gives the newlyweds, and they must drain the bowl to the bottom three times.
The cup symbolizes the unity of destinies, as well as the willingness to endure together both joyful and sad moments in life.
- Then the cleric unites the right hands of the bride and groom with his hand and holds them three times around the lectern. This action is also symbolic, it marks with itself that from now on the young should always walk hand in hand with each other.
- Going to the royal gates, the groom should kiss the icon of the Savior, and the bride - the Mother of God, then they change places.
- In conclusion, the priest gives the young people to touch his lips to the Cross and presents two images: the icon of the Son of God (the bridegroom) and the Mother of God (the bride). They are taken home and secured over their bed.
The actions described above make the newlyweds not just lawful spouses before the state, but also before the face of the Lord. Dissolving the wedding is much more difficult than the usual marriage, for this you need to get permission from the clergyman.
See how the wedding ceremony goes on in the next video.